The funny thing about zealots like James is that sometimes it's a lot easier to join them instead of trying to beat them.
I think all the followers of the 3 MLS clubs have a pretty good grasp of the counter arguments to the general Vs sentiments that the current Canadian quota system is not good enough. As much as I sympathize and have become an apologist myself, I think we need to focus on some facts and assumptions:
1. By my count, ignoring Gyori, there are 20 Canadian MNT eligible players signed to MLS contracts. This represents roughly 3.5% of the player pool.
2. Assuming MTL does ok at the gate, the three Canadian clubs must contribute to in excess 15% of MLS revenue.
3. Although many of the those who contribute to this revenue couldn't be arsed to support the CMNT, fortunately, they have no collective voice. But the Vs do...
I'd like to start this thread to discuss what we could realistically do as a group to try to push MLS and the Canadian member clubs to address our concerns that 3.5% is not enough. And establish the end game:
1. Raise the quota? To what, 6? 8? 10?
2. Raise the number of international spots? To what, 10? 12? 14?
3. Eliminate/Limit US players as domestics on Canadian MLS clubs?
Based on previous discussion about US labour law here and elsewhere, I think these are the only "viable" solutions. The Canadian clubs are never going to go for #3, so I'm thinking a combination of #1 & #2 is the best we could hope for.
Whether our concerns matter to the league or not, it might be nice to agree on a realistic goal to help Canadians get a chance and then make a statement to that effect. We could probably run another thread to quantify our economic interest: season tickets bought, tops purchased, etc.
Here's what I think would be realistic for 2013:
1. A Canadian quota of 5 players eligible to represent the CMNT
2. An increase to 10 international spots for all clubs
3. A limit of 5 US citizens per Canadian club*
*Not sure about the practicality/legality of this. Just thought that this would ensure Ben Fisk gets signed before Floyd Franks. If we admit the need for US domestics, I'd rather they be green card holders like Le Toux. Pretty sure TFC would function fine with this under their current squad. L'impact might suffer.